When it comes to dressing in an age appropriate manner, all kinds of questions come up especially when women want to look more feminine and flirty. I am often asked, “What is age-appropriate?” Below are some common questions and 5 key points to consider.
1. If I can fit into my teenage daughter’s clothes, is it okay for me to wear them even if I’m twenty-five years older than she is?
2. Forever 21 is my daughter’s favorite store. I like shopping there, too. Everything is so current and so cheap!
3. I want to look youthful even though I’m getting older. I don’t have to give up on fashion, do I?
4. I don’t know whom to trust when it comes to shopping. Do I listen to my daughter, a twenty-five-year-old sales associate or my daring girlfriends who love shopping all the time?
5. Is it reasonable to expect to be noticed and complimented on what I wear once I’m over forty-five or am I just invisible now and that’s the way it is?
No matter your age, fashion and style can play a great role in your life. When we take time to pay attention to our appearance, it reinforces our self-esteem. And great self-esteem is attractive at any age.
Getting it right however, is another matter. No one sets out to look foolish but haven’t we all seen a mother/daughter team wearing very similar outfits and it’s just glaringly off? What makes sense for one generation doesn’t make sense for the one above it. When we get it wrong we’re sending a message about ourselves that isn’t one we really want to be remembered by.
Luckily beauty comes in many packages. It’s good to start with some reasonable expectations. Can we agree on these three points?
1. It’s our right to look great at any age.
2. What worked when we were twenty doesn’t work the same when we’re forty, fifty or sixty. That’s okay. Fashion generously offers options that are both attractive and appropriate.
3. It’s okay to get help from experts who understand how fashion works. A professional style and wardrobe consultant can show us how to look our best in every decade.
4. When a mature woman wears clothes that are designed for teens, the result is often the exact opposite of what was intended. Instead of looking young, the wearer of that outfit looks a lot older than she is. Dressing your age doesn’t mean looking frumpy or old. It means looking modern and current in clothes that suit a mature body. You can get just as many compliments if not more when you dress age appropriately. In fact, as you get older there are fashion choices that wouldn’t have tempted you when you were younger. There’s a great world of fashion waiting for you!
5. Clothes that are sold in teen stores are manufactured with a teen body. By the time a woman is in her thirties, forties or fifties, her body has changed even if her weight hasn’t. You can be in the best shape of your life in your fifth decade but still need help shopping. Those “just right” shopping sources are out there and a professional can help you find them.
Celebrate who you are right now! Remember, it’s your right to look great and I’m right here to help you do that!
Upcoming Events at Image Connections:
1. Livingroom Lunch and Learn
Please click here to learn more about this month’s Lunch & Learn sessions taking place on February 24th and February 25th. Learn how to take the mystery out of how to dress age-appropriately, yet still look feminine, sensual and attractive.
2. Set Your GPS to Fantabulous… Series of 6 Workshops
- The Power of Colour – March 9, 2015
- Get Back Your Sexy – March 16, 2015
- Dress For Your Body Type – March 23, 2015
- Discover Your Style Words – April 13, 2015
- How to Create Wardrobe Modules – April 20, 2015
- The Science of Accessorizing – April 27, 2015
$97.00 each + HST or save by registering for the series
$497.00 + HST … * BONUS for registering for the series… 3 hour image consultation for personal shopping or a closet edit FREE. Bonus valued at $497.00. *Bonus also valued at $497.
3. D to the Power of 4
Series of 4 Events offering great ideas and time well spent meeting friends, enjoying food and having some fun networking. Watch for your invite via Eventbrite.
- Get great image, fashion and health ideas for yourself and home.
- Guest speakers will be joining us offering wonderful and helpful ideas,
- plus a fabulous fashion show!
- Door Prizes too!
- Individual option @ $74.99 +HST for single Evening Event
- Tickets are to be purchased in advance on a first come basis.
- Payments for the events to be received by Friday, March 13th to receive the D4 Event discount.
- Payments managed by Eventbrite, watch for the invite!
- Event will have up to 15 attendees.
As always, I welcome your feedback! I look forward to connecting with you. You can reach me by phone or email, leave a comment right here on the site or click the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this post on the website.
Until next time,