Getting stuck wearing the same clothes over and over can happen to anyone. In fact, many of my latest clients have called to say, “Help! I am tired of wearing yoga pants everyday. How do I dress casual, yet look and feel good?”
If you can answer YES to any of these questions, you may be in a rut too:
- You have had the same hairstyle for 5 to 10 years.
- You haven’t changed up your lipstick shade since ???
- Your feet can no longer fit in shoes because you have been living in your ‘Birks’ for so long.
- Your bra is stretched beyond recognition, and your breasts are sagging onto your ribcage.
- Your casual look is a t-shirt, yoga pants and slippers.
- There is an inch of dust on your sparkly dress.
I am here to help but…I’ve come up with some self-help exercises you may want to try to first. It’s amazing to say this, but even the smallest change can create big results. Suddenly you have a lighter heart and more bounce in your step. Review this list of unstuck tips and pick one to do this week.
- The solution is to take baby action steps. You don’t have to buy a whole new wardrobe. You could buy one pair of new shoes. Or you could purchase one pair of pants in a pattern or a colour that’s not your basic neutrals. Just one thing. When you wear those shoes or those pants, you’ll feel rejuvenated.
- Take a break from your makeup routine.Go to a makeup counter and give up control to a friendly beauty stylist. Let someone with fresh eyes give you suggestions. One new technique or one new lip colour can make you feel more confident. We’re never too old to learn new tricks!
- How about shopping in a new store. Walk in and scope out the sales people. Don’t go with the first one who speaks to you. Walk around and see if you can spot someone whose style you like and then give her a problem or two that you’re having. See what solutions she comes up with. She could be a new style muse for you.
- You need to be prepared to feel differently when you’re coming out of a rut. When you try on something that’s out of your comfort zone, you may feel giddy or excited. You may love it but think it would suit someone else’s lifestyle, not yours. This is the time to pause and have a conversation with yourself. What’s stopping you from wearing this wonderful color or silhouette or accessory? Maybe that new look is the real you, the part of you that’s wanted to be expressed for a long time. Experiment and have fun.
- Find someone who wants to get unstuck too and form an alliance. You can be accountable to each other. Call one another or e-mail your successes. (“I finally went and got fitted for bras and I feel like a new woman!”) Or call me and let’s make an appointment. I’d love to help support you in finding ways to get out of your rut.
Summer has brought some new changes here at Image Connections:
- My You Tube channel is now up and I would love you to SUBSCRIBE to my channel. (Make sure to check out my Bloopers video here
- My dream of having a ONE STOP STYLE SHOP has come to fruition. I have added Nygard Style Direct clothing to my studio. Also to help you complete your look, I have added scarves and a few jewelry pieces that will be arriving soon. Bring in those “orphan “ pieces that match nothing in your closet and I will help you mix and match to create new looks.
- EXCITING … From August 1st to August 7th, I will be set up in Newmarket at STUDIO FIVE Hair Salon on Main Street. Come in a say hello.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook on my Image Connections page